• Why Do I Need a Lawyer?

    The criminal justice system is complicated. Thinking you can do it all alone may result in you getting a criminal record or time in jail.  Lawyers have been specially trained in Law school to learn about the law in great detail.  It is important to have a lawyer who knows exactly what they are talking about in order to minimize/remove the consequences of your charge.  For a more detailed explanation read my article “Ten Reasons Why You Need A Criminal Defence Lawyer When You Are Charged With A Crime”.

  • The Police have left a card at my door and voicemail messages telling me I need to contact them. What should I do?

    Get in touch with a criminal lawyer immediately. The lawyer will contact the police on your behalf, determine the reasons the police want to speak with you, and then advise you as to your best course of action. If the police intend to charge you with a crime, the lawyer will arrange for your surrender, prepare a plan for your release, and give you the advice you need to protect yourself from incrimination.

  • I have been charged with a criminal offence. What happens now?

    Be sure to retain a lawyer as quickly as possible. Your lawyer will be able to assist you with all aspects of your case. Your lawyer will make court appearances for you and collect disclosure. Your lawyer will review the disclosure with you so you can make informed decisions. Your lawyer will speak with the Crown Attorney to negotiate a resolution. If no agreement can be reached, a trial date will be set.

  • I didn't commit the offence. How long do I have to wait until my trial?

    For trials proceeding in the Manitoba Provincial Court or directly to the Court of Queen’s Bench, without a preliminary inquiry, typically between 6 month to a year. In cases where there is a preliminary inquiry followed by a trial in the Court of Queen’s Bench, typically between 1 to 2 years. If matters take to long to reach trial, a challenge to the right to be heard within a reasonable time can be brought forward to have the charges dismissed.

  • I have been released on conditions that are too hard to follow and making my life unbearable. Is there anything that can be done?

    Conditions of release can be varied either with the consent of the Crown Attorney, or by formal review by the Court.

  • I want to enter a guilty plea. Do I still need a criminal defence lawyer?

    Even in cases where you believe there is overwhelming evidence against you, the police may have overstepped their authority and infringed your rights during the course of their investigation. An application may be made pursuant to the Canadian Charter of Rights resulting in the evidence being thrown out. A defence lawyer can also raise other ‘technical defences’ when your matter is unreasonably delayed. Lastly, even at sentencing an experienced defence lawyer can achieve a significantly different result than an unrepresented accused.

  • I have been charged with a crime. How do I avoid a criminal record?

    Through negotiations your lawyer may be able have your matter ‘diverted’ whereby the charges are dropped upon the completion of community service, mediation, or completion of counselling. After entering guilty pleas or after conviction, your lawyer may be able to convince the court to grant you a discharge, which is a finding of guilt but not considered a criminal conviction. If you are found not guilty at trial, you will also avoid a criminal record.

  • I don't think I can afford a lawyer. What can I do?

    You can apply through Legal Aid Manitoba if you qualify financially and the charges are of a serious enough nature. More details can be found on my Legal Aid page. If you do not qualify for Legal Aid, I am prepared to offer you a payment plan within your financial means. It is important to have proper representation when facing criminal charges.

Did We Answer Your Questions?

If this section did not answer your questions, please do not hesitate to send your questions to Josh so he can answer any concerns you may have.

Send Question